Thursday, April 30, 2009

wow, you can make movies too!




Week 4 -
I've had a late start to the year, and it's been really hard catching up in this subject. Looking at dvolver and other movie-making websites was unlike things I've done before. Initially I thought ' What a wank' -my own defensiveness about this subject. But, then I thought about the processes involved -brainstorming, storyboards, rewrites...

My reaction to the M&M websites was similar - I live in the country because I wanted a simple life for my boys, without extra influences from multi-national companies etc. I didn't want Mclearning, with free fries for reading. However, if it inspireds children to learn, it can't be all bad.

I was babysitting my nieces and nephews the other night, and used them as experimental guinea pigs. They loved the games sites and actually came up with suggestions to build on the learning outcomes of the games. And here's me thinking it was all bad.

I watched my niece play a Bratz game - it involved collecting stuff and getting to the exit before the bully got you. I hated the whole premise, but my niece loves it, so I had to keep watching. Surprise, surprise, it's actually very strategic. My niece saw the outcome; I was shitty with the details of the process. She was thinking much more strategically than me.

To successfully complete games, you need to be able to use higher order thinking skills - I seriously did't realize this. I'm sure I've said this before, but the opportunities for learning with ICT just blow my mind..

No comments:

Post a Comment